[OSM-dev] Spatialite in OSM context

Marc SIBERT marc at sibert.fr
Thu Sep 23 21:18:09 BST 2010

2010/9/22 Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com>

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if someone already used Spatialite in an OSM context?
>
> For large datasets of OSM data, it seems to me like a good compromise
> between the heaviness of Posgresql and the verbosity (and memory
> consumption, as everything has to be loaded in memory) of XML.
>
> Thanks in advance for you feedback (if applicable).
> - Chris -

I react late online, as I spoke with Chris off-line.

I am on the way to developpe such a converter named libosm (this one is
mine, I known some others also exist).
The very first time I need one week to import a Planet.osm in a 160 GB
database SQLite3 / Spatialite. Now daily, I import the diff (in 2 ou 3 hours
- i5 2.3 GHz - 4 GB ram - desktop PC).

C / C++ Source code available freely at github/marcussacapuces91/
libosm.

Still in development, not my pro business.

--
Marc Sibert
marc at sibert.fr