[OSM-dev] Renderd problems.

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:31:58 BST 2010

Samir Faci (Dev) wrote:

> render_list does seem to have a bug where it ignores the -l,
> --max-load=LOAD value.  Though I need to look at it a bit more to see
> why its not using the value, I'm passing.

My guess would be the check_load() call needs to happen in the dequeueing
path rather than the enqueueing, as otherwise the rendering continues out of
the queue above load, which is rapidly filled up again the instance the load
dips below the allowed. I haven't verified this though, so I might be wrong.

Depending on how you see it (bug or feature?), a similar issue I think
occurs with mod_tile / renderd. The load checks again are on the enqueueing
side (mod_tile) rather than dequeueing side of renderd, meaning it continues
to render under heavy load, just stops queuing new requests, although that
has its benefits as well.