[OSM-dev] Renderd problems.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:52:49 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 09:04 -0500, Samir Faci (Dev) wrote:
> Now, I do have one question regarding the shapeindex and shape files
> (ie.  processed_p.shp ).  Does running or loading a planet file modify
> the shapeindex?  or should it affect it in anyway?

No

> I have the world_boundaries, shorelines, and processed_p deployed as a
> Debian package.  I was presuming these files were fairly static aside
> from when there's an update that needs to be fetched from the website.

The processed_p and shoreline_300 files are updated every few weeks and
can be downloaded from this location:

http://tile.openstreetmap.org/processed_p.tar.bz2
http://tile.openstreetmap.org/shoreline_300.tar.bz2

> Does the shapeindex need to be updated with any frequency?

No, the index should only need to be generated once for each shapefile
and only updated if the shapefile is changed. The archives at the URLs
above already include the index files and they should not need to be
updated. If they do, then this suggests something in the index is
platform specific, maybe some 32 vs 64 bit issue or an endian problem.
Or maybe a newer mapnik version has changed the format slightly. Let me
know if you run into a problem with the archives above and I'll
investigate further.

   Jon