[OSM-dev] Detecting Potentially Bad OSM Edits

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:15:58 BST 2011

Hi all,

While cruising my area in OWL for edits that looked out of place I thought
it would be interesting to write an extension to OWL that flagged changesets
that met some criteria. For example:

- Creating very long, very low node-count ways (newbies not sure how
Potlatch works?)
- A (not-closed? or not building=yes?) way whose segments form more than 2
acute angles (someone scribbling?)
- A changeset made up entirely of untagged nodes (an incoming botched
import)
- A well-established (version > 3?) way that gets displaced by more than
several dozen meters

It seems that a lot of these "spammy" or "noobish" kinds of changes should
at least be flagged for someone interested to review. Does anyone have any
other, similar checks? Is my assumption that an extension to OWL would work
well to detect these sorts of changes?

-Ian