[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 13:58:57 BST 2011

I can only speak for my own server, but those devs who have discussed the
matter and limited their applications to a reasonable amount of data have
gotten undamped access within those bounds.

Unfortunately, most folks never had the notion to ask whether a few million
tiles are ok - and some even bluntly violate the attribution requirement of
the licence. Therefore all unknown mass accesses are blocked.

Giving a tile cache priority access should be desirable and doable - but it
would have to be reasonably save. In the logs, I observe plenty of attempts
to circumvent the limitations, so I assume if it was easy, some "c00l"
downloaders will quickly abuse that priority access for their own transfers.

bye
                        Nop