[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:08:20 BST 2011

2011/4/27 Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb at homeside.to>:
> On 4/27/2011 7:23 AM, Ramas wrote:
>>
>> This QOS limit is real problem for applications which doesn't works like
>> bulk downloaders but does many requests to tile server.
>> Maybe we could do some excludes for "good" applications (like proxy
>> caches) and rought limits for "bad" applications?
>
> And how does one go about getting qualified as a "good" application?

Good application =
a) is www.openstreetmap.org OR
b) generates less than 1000 tile requests per day

 Is tile.openstreetmap.org really meant to be for mass usage? I would
suggest to put to tile.openstreetmap.org usage guide that for own
applications please consider some other, commercial or noncommercial
option, or setting up own tile server.

--
Jaak