[OSM-dev] Problem with duplicate keys

marqqs at gmx.eu marqqs at gmx.eu
Wed Aug 10 12:52:42 BST 2011

> > Another thing is that I will be importing Russia as well... but I think
> > that I could import Central America and then import Russia without any
> > problem because it shouldn't be any duplicate entry in both files.

> You may have luck with that.

It's worth a try. But you might encounter problems as well. Theoretically there could be relations which appear in both files, e.g. ferry lines, submarine cables...

There is an alternative way to merge two files:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmconvert#Merging_two_or_more_Geographical_Areas

Nevertheless be careful. This will probably work with files from geofabrik.de because they use a clipping algorithm which does not drop unused references. But you might be out of luck with extracts from other sources. OK, this usually doesn't matter for the example Central America / Russia.

The best way really is to extract the chosen areas from a larger file - as Peter said.

Markus

-------- Original-Nachricht --------