[OSM-dev] Problem with duplicate keys

Adrian Chapela achapela.rexistros at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:38:45 BST 2011

> It's worth a try. But you might encounter problems as well. Theoretically there could be relations which appear in both files, e.g. ferry lines, submarine cables...
>
> There is an alternative way to merge two files:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmconvert#Merging_two_or_more_Geographical_Areas
>
> Nevertheless be careful. This will probably work with files from geofabrik.de because they use a clipping algorithm which does not drop unused references. But you might be out of luck with extracts from other sources. OK, this usually doesn't matter for the example Central America / Russia.
>
> The best way really is to extract the chosen areas from a larger file - as Peter said.

Ok, so I could extract my areas from a planet.osm with osmosis  but how
could I extract from planet osm Dominican Republic and Russia ? and then
how could I apply diffs ? Now I am downloading the extracts from the
countries and then I am getting differences with osmosis to finally
apply with osm2pgsql. Could I do the same applying planet diffs to a
extract ? I am not sure about that.

Regards