[OSM-dev] Ways

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:07:34 BST 2011

I'm currently writing processing software and a couple of questions
regarding ways have come up. None of the following examples makes
practical sense, and I believe (hope) that the editors prevent such
things from happening. But what about ...

... subsequent duplicate references?

<way>
	<nd ref="1"/>
	<nd ref="2"/>
	<nd ref="2"/>
	<nd ref="3"/>
</way>

... closed ways trivial enough not to represent an area?

<way>
	<nd ref="1"/>
	<nd ref="2"/>
	<nd ref="1"/>
</way>

<way>
	<nd ref="1"/>
	<nd ref="1"/>
</way>

The reason why it bothers me is that I feel my program should deal with
these cases. So the technical part of my question is: How does the API
handle it? Which of the above should I expect to be found in the planet
file, which not?

cheers
ant