[OSM-dev] WMSC - bachelor thesis

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Wed Aug 17 19:27:57 BST 2011

On 17.08.2011, at 20:01, MRHarmonie at gmx.de wrote:
> but what is the difference between wmts and wmsc - they do the same, dont they? both deliver tiles ... its a kind of weird for me :)

With WMS-C you address tiles by their bounding box, with WMTS by their x/y tile coordinate.

With WMTS you have the same ?request=GetCapabilties URL as with WMS, but with service=WMTS instead of WMS. TMS looks like /tms/1.0.0/mylayer/04/123/456.png. TMS has also XML capabilities, like http://osm.omniscale.net/proxy/tms/1.0.0/

> I think i have to use the geowebcache and mapproxy software.
> I need to set up a tiled wms filled with a osm database but the whole standard non-standard webmapservices are confusing me.

GeoWebCache and MapProxy are more flexible than Tirex, e.g. when you deal with other projections. Which (non)standard you use depends on your clients. I would go with TMS if you use OpenLayers as the client and use WMTS/TMS/WMS-C when you use desktop clients than support it. MapProxy also supports the full WMS standard (by combining, scaling and reprojecting cached tiles), so you can use it also in non-tiled clients.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de