[OSM-dev] Proposal for OpenMetaMap - proper OSM import solution

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Aug 21 17:41:03 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/21 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Stefan Keller wrote:
>>>
>>> What about storing the object ID (and the link properties) directly in
>>> the OSM object?
>>
>> Wasn't the idea of *not* polluting the OSM database with external reference
>> data at the very core of Jaak's proposal?
>
> "Polluting" sounds to me a little undifferentiated. Maintaining such a
> tag would support simplicity - and that's (another) core design
> principle.

Requiring OSM mappers to maintain links to external databases doesn't
seem like a good idea.  It's hard enough keeping OSM up to date with
what's actually in existence on the ground.  Adding a requirement to
keep up to date with a potentially limitless number of external
databases would make things too difficult.

If you want to use OSM for this, I don't think anyone's going to stop
you.  But the vast majority of people aren't going to help you,
either.  What's almost surely going to happen is that the information
is going to rot.  It's not going to be kept up to date.  When people
delete and recreate elements to handle some sort of problem they're
not going to copy the links (and/or they'll copy them incorrectly in
some way you didn't expect them to).  Ways will get split and merged
and split and merged over again, and the links are going to wind up
pointing to things that you never intended them to point to.

Take a look at TIGER TLIDs if you want a preview.