[OSM-dev] OSM on BlackBerry

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:17:58 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Christian Anger
<christian.anger at runtastic.com> wrote:

> Our product is a very successful sports assistant app on the BlackBerry
> platform. Since we are currently trying to improve our app's map
> representation and BlackBerry Maps causes some problems, we consider to
> switch to OSM.
>
> However, we couldn't find a lot of supporting material for the BlackBerry
> platform and I therefore would be glad if you could give me some information
> on OSM support for the BlackBerry platform.
> Does there exist a library that can be used for OSM on BlackBerry?
> Where can we find source code samples or general information on how to use
> OSM on BlackBerry?

Unfortunately it seems like most of the BlackBerry apps listed on the
wiki[1] are proprietary so I'm guessing there isn't much in the way of
existing libraries.

Does your app do offline map display or is it assumed that there is
always data service available? Just downloading tiles shouldn't be too
hard to implement although as pointed out, you would need to abide by
our tile usage policy which might mean setting up your own tile
server. The upside of this is that you could style your own tiles to
hilight bicycle/pedestrian features which might let you set yourself
apart from other apps that probably just use default road maps. Plus,
you could include a hint to users that if their favorite bike
path/trail isn't on the map, they can add it themselves! :)

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Blackberry

Toby