[OSM-dev] OSM on BlackBerry

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 11:38:58 BST 2011

On 26 August 2011 11:23, Christian Anger <christian.anger at runtastic.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your messages! It seems that the best solution for me would
> be to set up an own tile server, download the tiles from OSM and then
> providing them to the users of our app. We have planned to let the app
> display maps offline, so a permanent data service wouldn't be necessary.

Downloading the full tileset and then serving it from your own place
sounds like a good idea at first but it's quite impractical actually.
The amount of data is such that it would become quite outdated before
the download is finished, additionally the project's tileserver
doesn't have a single file with all the tileset so it'd take billions
of individual requests.

So the popular options are to use an existing tileserver possibly with
a tile cache on your server, or generate your own tiles as Toby
explained.  The link to the tile usage policy that people pasted only
refers to OSM's own tileserver, and there are many more servers that
render OSM data, that policy does not apply to them.  But we have had
a number of cases of abuse of the main tileserver and this is why
everyone is sensitive about it.  Still there are a number of mobile or
web apps that use that server successfully and without running over
the policy so don't be scared by it. I find it a little unfair that
any usage of the existing free tileservers is immediately discouraged
when someone asks about it, especially on IRC where a lot of potential
users have been successfully scared away from OSM.

As for a free existing blackberry library for showing the map I don't
think it exists yet, unfortunately.

Cheers