[OSM-dev] OSM on BlackBerry

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:16:48 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Christian Anger
<christian.anger at runtastic.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your messages! It seems that the best solution for me would
> be to set up an own tile server, download the tiles from OSM and then
> providing them to the users of our app. We have planned to let the app
> display maps offline, so a permanent data service wouldn't be necessary.
>
> @Toby: Styling our own tiles is a great idea. That way, we could provide the
> most appropriate map representation for our users. Is there a documentation
> on tile styling?

There are a couple of ways of going about this.

You could set up your own complete OSM rendering stack. You would
download the OSM database dump available at
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/ and import it into a postgis database
and then use that to render tiles on demand using a customized map
style. Not a walk in the park but doable. One of the better guides
that I am currently aware of is one by Richard Weait:
http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server

There is also an Amazon machine image called Tile Drawer that lets you
do your rendering in EC2. They talk about doing a small region. Not
sure if it scales well to world wide coverage.
http://tiledrawer.com/

Lastly, there are services like CloudMade that serve up tiles from
their servers with your style changes (for a fee of course). I think
there is another service besides CloudMade that does this but I don't
remember off the top of my head.

I'm not really an expert at the rendering end of things but that's
what I know from hanging around the OSM community for a while.

Toby