[OSM-dev] mapnik-0.7.1 not enough for open MapQuest styles?

Michael Katz michaeladamkatz at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 23:05:47 BST 2011

I have mapnik installed on my Windows PC, and have been successfully generating OSM-style tiles.

I also wanted to generate tiles using the MapQuest open style .xml files (the US versions): http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/map/style

I believe I have all the .inc.template files set up correctly (i.e., I have created what I think is a valid .inc files for each .inc.template file).

But I'm getting the following type of error:

RuntimeError: Failed to parse filter expression:
[highway] = 'pedestrian' or [highway]='footway' or ([highway]='path' and !([bicycle]='designated')) or [highway]='track'
Parsing aborted at '(' in style 'pedestrian-walkways'

I believe this is happening because my version of mapnik is not recent enough to handle various syntax/logic structures the MapQuest .xml files are using.

I installed mapnik from HOTOSM using https://github.com/hotosm/installer/downloads

I also installed it (and got the same results) from the "win32 binaries" button on http://mapnik.org/download/, which installs mapnik-0.7.1 (which I believe is the same version as is installed by HOTOSM, even though I don't see any version labeling on the HOTOSM download page or install).

So do I need a version better than mapnik-0.7.1 to use the MapQuest .xml files? If so, what's the best way to get that installed on Windows?