[OSM-dev] Merkaator port to Android

Matthias Meißer digi_c at arcor.de
Fri Dec 2 17:24:18 GMT 2011

Well I've got Merkaator running on my OpenPandora handhelt (Angstrome
Linux) and noticed that this kind of editors (let's call them GIS
centred) isn't what will work on mobile devices in the field.
I used osm2go as well and it's realy clother to my needs but is
unfortunatly abandoned and currently not that good for tapping devices.
On the other sides regular Smartphones are just to small (virtual
keypad) so you might need a real hardware keyboard as the Pandora
offers, to add streetnames etc.

What in my opinion will work esp. on Tablets is:
-easy to use download data (select area on map, not entering them
numericaly)
-ultimate reduced UI (focused on adding more attributes and just POIs,
not for complex geometry, as this is best done with a mouse)
-mission schemas that customize the layout/workflow:
Let's say you want to add housenumbers, so you tap on the house. The
editor suggests the next road and already predicts the housenumber by
what you entered to house before).
Another usecase might be to add 3D featuers, where a wizzard presents
you different shapes of roofs, color table, ...
-ability to take georeferenced audio-notes, photos and embedd them
immediately

Yes a HTML5 might do the job and as Josh noticed, this will simplify the
deployment for mobile platforms. On the other hand I would really
suggest offline editing.

But this are just ideas...would be great if anybody would give it a try
to see if this might work :)

bye
Matthias