[OSM-dev] Merkaator port to Android

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:26:30 GMT 2011

I would suggest looking at helping to improve Vesupcci. It already
does several things mentioned here and I think a few other things are
at least theoretically on the roadmap. It is certainly usable on my
Samsung Galaxy S. Editing geometry is kind of tricky and I ususally
end up going back in JOSM and fixing things after I upload from
Vespucci. But I don't see many options to change that on a small touch
screen. Tablets might work better. Having an "orthogonalize" button
might be neat though. One outstanding feature request is to save to a
file that you can open in JOSM and edit before uploading.

It has tagging presets built in although they are not graphical... it
just offers autocomplete suggestions for tag keys and values that it
knows about. So you have to know which tag you want, it just helps you
fill it in quicker. But it does have a button that will send you to
the wiki for the selected key.

It also guesses the road name when you add an addr:street tag. In my
experience it does fairly well.

It displays Bing imagery by default but has several other options.

It even does some minimal validation - highlighting streets with no name.

Toby