[OSM-dev] Harmless edits (was: Change in wtfe.gryph.de "Quick History Service" API)

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Sat Dec 3 11:01:41 GMT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 01:13:14AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>    I have finalized a script that can analyze an object's history
> and determine if certain edits are "non-edits" (i.e. nothing of note
> was changed at all), or "harmess" (i.e. the object was changed and
> might have to be rolled back if the contributor does not agree to
> the license change, but the rollback will likely not affect the
> quality much).
>
> [...]
>
> You can try out my script here, by adding a way/node/relation id to
> the URL like so:
>
> http://wtfe.gryph.de/harmless/way/40103577
>
> The output is a break-down of what my script thinks has happened to
> the object, and which edits are zero-edits ("severity: 0") or
> harmless ("severity: 1"). After the version analysis, it summarizes
> the user contributions - each user is afforded the highest severity
> of all his changes.

There is a small oddity: when a non-agreeing user deleted an object
then the script notes that down as a zero-edit and ignores the fact
that the object is gone. Example:

http://wtfe.gryph.de/harmless/node/1300187843

see history: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1300187843/history

Might happen only if there are no tags.

I'm also slightly confused by the user summary. What do 'relevant change'
and 'no change' mean? I would have expected 'relevant change' to be only
those that are non-zero edits by non-agreers but that does not seem to be
the case.

Sarah