[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql failure with low-end server

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:31:42 GMT 2011

On 8 December 2011 11:13, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

>>700 MB is a tiny machine, but then the Finland data set isn't that large
>>either... it must be possible somehow ;)
>
> Incidentally why would it run out of memory in slim mode? I had the same
> problem too some time ago when trying to import the whole of England, back
> in the days before the county extracts.

I did some research into this a while back and it has to do with the
code that goes over all pending ways after the import, to deal with
polygons. It looks like the number of pending ways is a lot more than
it used to be. Osm2pgsql requests all the pending ways in a single
query which fails on small machines.

Can someone check if there is really the case. i.e. show the number of
pending ways after a simple import.

And my final question was: why do polygons need post-processing after
a normal import. I can't remember the reason... If they don't then we
can solve the problem even quicker....

Have a nice day,