[OSM-dev] ER Diagram of OSM Database

Andreas Hubel andi at saerdnaer.de
Mon Dec 12 23:14:57 GMT 2011

Hello Parveen,

Am 12.12.2011 um 19:50 schrieb Parveen Arora:
> I was searching for ER Diagram of OpenStreetMap's Database to
> understand completely,
I think the best way is to understand the different parts step by step and not to try to understand everything at the first time.

> I found one component diagram
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Component_overview
>
> But I want one only of database?
There is not one database. The main services provided by the foundation actually use two different databases, as shown in the component overview you already found.
Green: PostgreSQL backend
	aliases: api db, main db, core db
Yellow: PostGIS
	aliases: osm2pgsql db, Mapnik db

We should definitely discuss about using uniform names in future.

An overview about the different database schemas is available at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Database_schema#Database_Schemas
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_Database_Schemas

> or Please let me know how to generate it automatically from PostGreSQL Database?
Please state which "PostgreSQL" database you mean. Both databases are hosted on PostgreSQL databases servers.

Regards,
Andi