[OSM-dev] Writing PBF

marqqs at gmx.eu marqqs at gmx.eu
Tue Dec 13 18:20:14 GMT 2011

Hi Peter & Jochen,

> I encountered shrinkage of around 1-2% of the overall block size while
> comparing the intermediate string ids with the sorted ones.

sounds plausible. Sorting the strings might not be worth the effort if circumstances allow you to increase block size. I just ran a comparison (File germany.pbf had been downloaded from Geofabrik at November 22):

$ time ./osmconvert germany.pbf -o=germany_oc.pbf
real	2m32.438s

$ ls -l germany*
-rw------- 1 pt pt 1089521558 2011-12-13 18:53 germany_oc.pbf
-rw-r--r-- 1 pt pt 1150359237 2011-11-22 04:02 germany.pbf

Result:
8000 objects/block (download file)
-> n objects/block, but 30..31 MB/block (osmconvert)
saves about 5% file size.

Markus

-------- Original-Nachricht --------