[OSM-dev] OSM-3D tagging info

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Dec 16 10:15:31 GMT 2011

Ander,

On 12/16/11 10:09, Ander Pijoan wrote:
> to osm format in order to do massive imports.

Imports are not universally welcome in OSM. Please discuss, ideally on
the imports list, exactly what you plan to import and how.

> The tags on the wiki related to 3D rendering are quite reduced for all
> the information Catastro database gives. We have information about part
> of a building are balconies, terraces, porchs...

Such information is almost certainly not suitable for OSM. Remember that
OSM is a user-editable database, so you should not import anything that
cannot be meaningfully edited by users.

> So our question is if there are some more tags already "standarized" or
> recommended for this data

Even if there were - OSM cannot be a repository of detailed 3D shapes
for all the buildings in this world, this is simply outside our scope
and outside of what our editors and our database can handle.

Imports may make the map look nice in the short term, but they have the
potential to make editing harder. Also, if you import data where there
is no local community, you risk creating huge data dumps for which
nobody really cares, and which nobody maintains.

The value of OSM is not in the huge amount of data that has been
collected, but in the community that keeps this data current.

Under no circumstances should you import data for all of Spain while
sitting at your desk - if at all, then you can help local users to
import cadastre data where there's interest and where there *are* local
users to begin with.

Bye
Frederik