[OSM-dev] OSM-3D tagging info

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Dec 16 13:59:58 GMT 2011

Ander Pijoan wrote:
> We are working on an application to convert data from a goverment
> database called Catastro (which has been openned to all users little
> time ago) to osm format in order to do massive imports.
[...]
> The conversion part is
> almost ready but we have one bit missing, the building tagging for 3d
> renderers to render propperly. We've seen you will have an OSM Dev
> weekend but we don't know if we will be able to attend.

Imports are a very sensitive topic as they can do a lot of damage when
done wrong.

Unfortunately, you will simply not be able to do a good import of 3D
information within in the next few months. As you have noticed, there is
no established tagging scheme for 3d information, and I expect that this
situation will persist at least until the Dev weekend in March.

Even then, it would not advisable to immediately perform an import with
a newly invented tagging scheme. Any tagging idea needs to prove its
usability, i.e. be used by normal mappers manually.

To sum this up, the proper order is like this:
1. We invent and agree on a tagging scheme.
2. A lot of mappers use it for manual mapping.
3. Imports help local mappers to improve coverage of a type of data that
they could have mapped themselves anyway. (optional)

As the maintainer of OSM2World, I'm obviously not opposed to adding 3D
information to OSM. But it needs to be done in a manner that is
compatible with the way our community works.

You could consider importing some more established categories of data
from your source earlier and leave out the 3D building stuff for the
moment. Even then it is recommended that you don't push data into OSM,
but instead give local contributors the ability to pull parts of the
data and manually integrate it with existing information.

Tobias