[OSM-dev] OSM-3D tagging info

Matthias Uden uden at uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 16 09:53:40 GMT 2011

Hi Ander,

the data you have looks great and it certainly would be a huge
improvement, particularly in the 3D context.

As you've already recognised, the 3D development in OSM is still
in its early stages and tagging schemas are not yet established but
still lively discussed.
The most extensive proposal for tag-based building and roof modelling
is made here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Roof_table
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Roof_table (German)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_building

You can also see what kind of different 3D OSM viewers exist so far and
which tags are processed by them:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Development/Tagging

At the moment it is still very difficult to manually apply all these
tags and it is also currently not recommended to do that since there is
no consensus if this is the right way.
However, it would already be great if you just included basic tags like
the building height, the general roof type, number of floors etc.

We will discuss and try to push forward this development during our
workshop in Garching in March 2012.

Best,
Matthias