[OSM-dev] Harmless edits

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Dec 16 18:09:04 GMT 2011

My opinion is that the agree-er's change of the (apparently, but who
knows for sure?) mis-spelling of the nmae= tag to name= brings the
information into the realm of agreement by the adoption of the most
recent edit of the tag.  It is the responsibility, I would think, of the
correcting user to ensure the validity of the change and is no different
than an agree-er entering their own name= tag based on what some
non-agree-ing person told them about the object.

The disappearance of the nmae= tag makes the original addition a
harmless edit.  The edit is no longer present.

The appearance of a name= tag must be, IMHO, considered acceptable if
done by an agree-ing user.  There is no way nor reason to infer that it
was simply a correction of a spelling error without also assuming that
the responsibility and agreement status for the information has
transitioned to the most recent editor.

(Watching the discussion from the side-lines)