[OSM-dev] Harmless edits

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Dec 16 17:58:37 GMT 2011

Andy,

On 12/16/2011 06:40 PM, SomeoneElse wrote:
> http://wtfe.gryph.de/harmless/way/9178258
> suggests "This object remains problematic even after looking at harmless
> edits."

Yes. The script is not clever enough to find out what you did. It would
have classed the non-agreer's change as harmless if it had been in
between two *identical* versions of the object (i.e. if a full revert
had taken place later). In your case, with the "history" and
"created_by" coming into play, this was not the case and so the change
was considered not harmless.

I'll have to look into how I could improve this.

The obvious choice would be: "if someone adds something and whatever
they added is not present in the current version any more, then that
edit was harmless".

However: What if the non-agreer adds the tag

nmae=Aunt Gertrud's Home for Orphans

and an agreer later fixes this to

name=Aunt Gertrud's Home for Orphans

... the simple analysis sketched above would say "clearly the
non-agreer's change is harmless because the nmae tag is not present any
more". But in this situation that would be wrong (I think).

So while in your case the "harmlessness" is obvious to the human eye, I
struggle to find a good algorithm that captures it. Any ideas?

Bye
Frederik