[OSM-dev] 0.6 API read load balancer/proxy prototype with lower limits

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Thu Dec 22 13:52:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

Following :
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2011-December/023945.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2011-December/023981.html

I've set up a read load balancer/proxy to the main OSM API

Better than a thousand words, here it is :
http://beta.letuffe.org/api/

It should be usable wherever any osm editors, tools, bulk downloader use
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api
- For example, you can put this adresse in JOSM F12 -> connexion -> API url
- It only supports the France area for now (it's a demo)
- You need valid credential at the 0.6 API dev server :
api06.dev.openstreetmap.org if you want write operations to work

In a few words "why" :

The main API server is applying sanity restrictions in order to limit per IP,
per area or per elapsed time calls sent to it. This simple proxy is reducing
such calls by answering the data request calls itself. It's only a prototype
showing one solution among many others to accelerate read calls and reduce
load on the main API server.

In a few words "how" :

When handeling a request,  any of map, node, way, relation, nodes, ways,
relations and capabilities GET calls are converted to the overpass API
syntaxe and forwarded to a local (or even could do to a distant) overpass API
server.
When handeling any other PUT, POST, DELETE, WHATEVER or GET requests, it
forwards the call to the 0.6 API dev server acting as a transparent proxy as
much as possible.
Advantage beeing that no modifications are needed in the client if it supports
the 0.6 API (beside changing the target URL of course)

note: Your credentials are clear text transmitted to my server, but no storing
is done (you'll have to trust me or use unimportant credential from de dev
server)

note: the dev server does not have a live copy of the main osm API, so any
modification done to existing data will fail with a version error (you have
to create fresh data to test it)

note: please DO NOT try to force re-upload to the live API unless you are very
sure of what your datas looks like, because I suspect a few bugs to still be
hidding around

--
sly
qui suis-je : http://sly.letuffe.org