[OSM-dev] problem with osmosis to apply changeset to postgresql db

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Dec 27 10:24:27 GMT 2011

On 27 December 2011 08:10, Oon Arfiandwi <robot at ijo.me> wrote:

> Hi brett,
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> > On 20 December 2011 03:14, Oon Arfiandwi <robot at ijo.me> wrote:
> >>
> >> I just try to apply osmosis command below,
> >> the problem is: "Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR:
> >> relation "schema_migrations" does not exist"
> >>
> >> I read a solution about schema_migrations relation here:
> >> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=7396
> >>
> >> then I change the command to:
> >> osmosis --read-xml-change file="asiadiff.osc" --write-pgsql-change
> >> database="gis" user="osm" password="x" host="localhost"
> >> or
> >> osmosis --read-xml-change file="asiadiff.osc" --write-pgsimp-change
> >> database="gis" user="osm" password="x" host="localhost"
> >>
> >> but still no luck,
> >> I got another exception: "org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR:
> >> relation "schema_info" does not exist"
> >>

> >> any other references?
> >

> > How have you created your database?  Specifically, which scripts did you
> use
> > to create the database tables?  The OpenStreetMap project has a number of
> > different incompatible schemas using PostgreSQL PostGIS extensions all
> > optimised for different purposes.
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_Database_Schemas
>
> I created database using osm2pgsql, here's the command:
>
> ./osm2pgsql -S default.style --slim -d gis -C 1024
> --number-processes=1 --cache-strategy=dense asia.osm.bz2
>
> how can I update the database which previously created by osm2pgsql?
> any reference?

Perhaps this page will be of some use:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Minutely_Mapnik#Import_Replication_Data

In summary, you can use Osmosis to download and merge the replication
files, but you need to use osm2pgsql to apply them.

> > If you wish to use the pgsql tasks in Osmosis you will need to use the
> > pgsnapshot_*.sql scripts from the scripts directory of the Osmosis
> > distribution.  More details are available here:
> >
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage#PostGIS_Tasks_.28Snapshot_Schema.29
> >

> or should I drop the existing database,
> and setup the new one by following
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis_PostGIS_Setup ?
> so next time I can update my database using Osmosis?

That depends on what you're using the database for (apologies if you've
already mentioned it).  The osm2pgsql schema stores a subset of the OSM
data in a schema suitable for rendering, the Osmosis pgsnapshot provides a
complete snapshot of the OSM dataset in a generic schema that isn't
suitable for rendering.

Brett