[OSM-dev] capitals; normalizing true, yes and 1

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:54:23 GMT 2011

looking at my current database extract (imported with osm2pgsql) I
find that there is a small problem with several values for the same
thing. E.g. if you look at the key capital you will see, that in the
current mapnik stylesheet there is only rules for "yes" but not for
true. I was assuming that those would be normalized during import with
osm2pgsql, but apparently they aren't. There is some capitals that are
marked as "capital=true" and therefor don't render in mapnik low-zoom

This in concerning the following capitals (ids are point ids):

 Puerto Princesa | 278516701
 Vigan           | 198492634
 Laoag           | 317949136
 San Fernando    | 958923586
 Malolos         | 894114195
 Palayan         | 958923583
 Lucena          | 272327246
 Kalibo          | 198498501
 Iloilo City     | 279220967
 Roxas City      | 967978473
 Bacolod         | 657059412
 Dumaguete       | 611962905
 Dipolog         | 965797300
 Pagadian        | 965797331
 Masbate         | 198515822
 Legaspi         |  25653778
 Oroquieta       | 968039425
 Tagbilaran      | 250652000
 Cebu City       | 259009337
 Sorsogon City   | 198532506
 Marawi City     | 968039424
 Cagayan De Oro  | 282310507
 Koronadal City  | 198505269
 Kidapawan City  | 198512957
 Malaybalay      | 198503889
 Digos City      | 686094805
 Surigao         | 319858811
 Cabadbaran City | 198493523
 Tagum City      | 371274506
 Mati            | 198507159

I wonder if we really need different values for the same thing, and
what others do to solve this issue. Shall we change the values in the
main db? This could be done automatically e.g. by adding a rule to
fixbot or similar. Would it be better to do it only locally? Can
osm2pgsql be amended to do this kind of substitution?

cheers,
Martin