[OSM-dev] capitals; normalizing true, yes and 1

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 1 18:27:30 GMT 2011

On 1-2-2011 18:54, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> looking at my current database extract (imported with osm2pgsql) I
> find that there is a small problem with several values for the same
> thing. E.g. if you look at the key capital you will see, that in the
> current mapnik stylesheet there is only rules for "yes" but not for
> true. I was assuming that those would be normalized during import with
> osm2pgsql, but apparently they aren't. There is some capitals that are
> marked as "capital=true" and therefor don't render in mapnik low-zoom

As a stylesheet maintainer, I wouldn't mind *at all* when we can finally
get rid of true and 1 as alternate values of yes. Or settle on one of
those two as the main tag, but 'yes' would seem to be the majority.

Fortunately, for capital, we only use yes and not the other 2 variants
in the main mapnik map. It's not logical to add these at this point. We
already have to normalise true and 1 to yes for bridges and tunnels, and
if those variants would disappear from the database and the wiki, all
the better.

You're right in that these values could be normalised by osm2pgsql, but
osm2pgsql is by no means the only tool used to process OSM data. Why
impose the same "true or 1 then yes" rule on every consumer of OSM data?

Anyway, shouldn't this now move to [tagging] ?

--
Lennard