[OSM-dev] osm2spatialite!

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 01:57:58 GMT 2011

There has actually been a python script to generate a simple sqlite database form osm xml for years, but transforming the data into lines and polygons really is the hard part.

I did find a version of spatialite that supported build area after I had written the multipolygon code, but I've decided to keep the code in osm2spatialite because it does a much better job of generating valid multipolygons that BuildArea can (because BuildArea doesn't have a concept of the inner and outer roles). In the future there's room for osm2spatialite to also fix self intersecting polygons but since they don't upset mapnik I haven't gotten around to it.

The memory usage is because generating the osm2pgsql style database requires keeping all the geometry data in ram to generate the lines and polygons. I do have code that caches it and keeps memory useage < 100M but it's significantly slower for data that fits in ram. If osm2pgsql is any indication it's probably faster to just fill up swap space but I haven't had the time to let it run against any multi GB files.

The other reason I expect to stick with python for this is that it makes it much easier to prototype preprocessing code, and at some point I'd like to support things like the label & admin_center roles on boundary multipolygons.

- Daniel