[OSM-dev] Inherited an OSM server - guidance needed please

Stephen Westrip steve.westrip at metafour.com
Thu Feb 17 16:03:08 GMT 2011

On 17 February 2011 15:01, NopMap <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It sounds like the select statements for z1-10 take longer than the tirex
> timeout, so the renderer is killed and the postgres process is orphaned.
> Those zoomlevels are the worst if the render layers and DB are not
> optimized
> as a lot of data is gathered from the huge areas. Under bad conditions,
> rendering one of those may take more than 5 minutes.
>
> As a first step, I would recommend to set the tirex timeout in
> etc/tirex/tirex.conf to a very high value, say an hour. That should tell
> you
> whether your render tasks just take too long or actually run into an error.
>
> The renderer and the DB can coexist very well on the same machine, my guess
> is that it might work better than a remote setup. How fast ist the DB
> server?
>
> bye
>                Nop
>
> --

Thanks for the reply.

I will increase the tirex timeout and see whether the tiles ever render,
although I do know already that tiles render properly as zoom level 12 and
above are successful.

The database server is also a Intel Xeon 12 core processor and has 16Gb of
RAM.

Thanks,
Stephen Westrip
Metafour UK