[OSM-dev] OSM formats optimised for client-side vector rendering?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 09:34:57 GMT 2011

>I think I have these resources in order from most significant to least
>significant for the average app store app. So when he says
>"client-side", I'm starting to wonder because client-server apps are
>generally less responsive and require more mobile bandwidth, consuming
>2 precious resources.

I mean a mobile app which would generally work standalone, but could, if desired, download data from a server. This would not happen very often and maybe not at all. So fast communication with the server is not essential.

When I asked my original question I was really just wanting to see if there was some agreement on a standard data transfer/storage format for OSM data in point/polyline (i.e. osm2pgsql output) so that I could use that rather than roll my own. The question was less concerned about how the data would be stored internally in the app.

Thanks for the replies, got some useful ideas.

Nick

Absolutely. I think Nick refers to mobile users, in which case the
tradeoffs are (a) the time of the user (b) mobile bandwidth (c)
processing power, i.e. must the user buy a faster phone to run the app
(d) RAM (e) flash (f) Wlan bandwidth that is often available at home /
work.