[OSM-dev] open source mapping with polygons?

Nitin Gadia nittyjee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 18:44:07 GMT 2011

Though GeoCommons is quite beautifully done, it is designed with significant
limitations.
*First and foremost, it is not designed like a wiki, where people can
collaborate and add to the map. There is nothing for editing the map
internally, like openstreetmap, and nothing for discussing it. Geocommons is
simply for viewing maps people have created using other programs.

*Does anyone know:*

*Most importantly, if you at least know:*
*Are there any other online open mapping platforms that are at least as
powerful as openstreetmap and geoCommons?

*More detailed if you have the knowledge and time:*
*Is there any progress being made on making something like Geocommons, which
uses polygons and data representation to make it a wiki, like openstreetmap?
*What tools does GeoCommons use? I can see the architecture for
openstreetmap on their site:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Component_Overview
*If there is anyone well versed with opensource tools like these, how would
you envision something being created using, in the same way as
openstreetmap, polygons and representing data?

Thanks,
Nitin