[OSM-dev] open source mapping with polygons?

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Sat Feb 19 19:11:33 GMT 2011

Hi Nitin,

I'm Kate Chapman and I work for FortiusOne, the company that created
GeoCommons.  I also am active in OpenStreetMap in the United States
and with the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team.  Our office has hosted a
variety of OpenStreetMap meet-ups in the past as well.

While it is true that GeoCommons is not exactly like a wiki, it is
designed for collaboration. There are 50,000 datasets that our
community has contributed from all sorts of sources.  We also allow
geocoding and joining of data to boundaries to create new datasets as
well.  Any GeoCommons user can use any of the data that another user
has uploaded or created.  We also have APIs to all over our features
that allow people to create other collaboration tools on top of
GeoCommons for example: http://issuemap.org/.

We are going to be adding further collaboration tools in the future
and welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

Kate Chapman