[OSM-dev] segfault in osm2pgsql

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:36:12 GMT 2011

2011/2/20 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Hi,
>
> M?rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> I also found another problem in recent osm2pgsql: the southpole
>> problem seems not to be correctly fixed.
> Try having your database in lat/lon (-l) and then change your Mapnik rules
> accordingly. Spherical Mercator cannot be used to represent anything north
> or south of 85.xxxxx, so if you instruct osm2pgsql to create Spherical
> Mercator values then there's no way to do what you request above.

Actually for me personally the wrong antarctic borders are not a
problem (I am interested mostly in Europe). But for OSM as a project
to map the world the current (wrong) display of antarctic borders is
not nice, see here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-85&lon=0&zoom=6&layers=M

It is of course better then having these connect to 0,0 ;-)

IMHO we should try to get at least a work around. If we inserted
additional (not needed) nodes on those borders at ~85 lat South this
would almost "work" (would IMHO be sufficient given the restraints
900913 sets up).

Any objections to insert these "intermediate" nodes in the antarctic borders?

Cheers,
Martin