[OSM-dev] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] ODbL

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 13:39:44 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 January 2011 22:57, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Please take this to a different mailing list. A license discussion does not
>> belong on the dev list.
>
> This isn't a license discussion, this is a discussion of the technical
> problems associated with the license change.

It's not a technical problem, it's a social problem. You're
participating in a community project, and other people in the
community want to contact you about things. Therefore they will, and
that's a good thing. There's no technical problem to solve here.

Although this is the dev list I'll suggest this - engage the community
and your social problem might go away. You can use the "description"
field in your user account to note that you aren't currently able to
relicense all of your data. You could explain further the problems on
your wiki user page. You could help other people by noting which
licenses the data you are importing fall under ( see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue and search for
"Importer will not reveal source or license"). You could use separate
accounts for your imports and bot-like activity, as the guidelines
suggest. In other words, solve the social problem by using social
solutions.

Anyway, I agree that this isn't a technical discussion (no code is
going to be written to block these message from reaching you), so we
could leave it there as far as this list is concerned.

Cheers,
Andy