[OSM-dev] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] ODbL

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:01:18 GMT 2011

On 10 January 2011 23:39, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although this is the dev list I'll suggest this - engage the community
> and your social problem might go away. You can use the "description"
> field in your user account to note that you aren't currently able to
> relicense all of your data. You could explain further the problems on
> your wiki user page. You could help other people by noting which
> licenses the data you are importing fall under ( see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue and search for
> "Importer will not reveal source or license"). You could use separate
> accounts for your imports and bot-like activity, as the guidelines
> suggest. In other words, solve the social problem by using social
> solutions.

Nice straw man, however such responsibility should fall to the OSM-F
since they are the ones instigating such changes, they should be doing
something about this problem, why is it being left up to end users to
try and facilitate the change over?

> Anyway, I agree that this isn't a technical discussion (no code is
> going to be written to block these message from reaching you), so we
> could leave it there as far as this list is concerned.

Some code will have to be written at some point to accept explicit
disagreement with the CT, and I'm not the first to complain about this
issue and I doubt I'll be the last so unless you want more emails
about this problem I suggest something be centrally co-ordinated to
deal with it in a more orderly fashion than harassing users constantly
because they haven't agreed with the new CTs.