[OSM-dev] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] ODbL

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:10:43 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10 January 2011 23:39, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although this is the dev list I'll suggest this - engage the community
> > and your social problem might go away. You can use the "description"
> > field in your user account to note that you aren't currently able to
> > relicense all of your data. You could explain further the problems on
> > your wiki user page. You could help other people by noting which
> > licenses the data you are importing fall under ( see
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue and search for
> > "Importer will not reveal source or license"). You could use separate
> > accounts for your imports and bot-like activity, as the guidelines
> > suggest. In other words, solve the social problem by using social
> > solutions.
>
> Nice straw man, however such responsibility should fall to the OSM-F
> since they are the ones instigating such changes, they should be doing
> something about this problem, why is it being left up to end users to
> try and facilitate the change over?

    System.out.println("OSM is a community. Perhaps some of the community
wants to be proactive about the license change.");
}

> > Anyway, I agree that this isn't a technical discussion (no code is
> > going to be written to block these message from reaching you), so we
> > could leave it there as far as this list is concerned.
>
> Some code will have to be written at some point to accept explicit
> disagreement with the CT, and I'm not the first to complain about this
> issue and I doubt I'll be the last so unless you want more emails
> about this problem I suggest something be centrally co-ordinated to
> deal with it in a more orderly fashion than harassing users constantly
> because they haven't agreed with the new CTs.

#!/bin/bash
prompt AGREE "Do you agree with the Contributor Terms? "
if [ $AGREE ] do
    echo "Great, thanks!"
    exit 0
else do
    prompt COMPLAIN "Will you troll the OSM community as you try to nit pick
every possible issue in the license?"
    if [ $COMPLAIN ] do
        echo $USER > ~.ignorelist
    done