[OSM-dev] Updating Planet and Reliability

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:17:39 BST 2011

On 21 July 2011 21:08, Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com> wrote:
> Merging changes into the 14G planet file takes my server about an hour,
> so I don't think writing an 85 byte state file at the end of it will
> impact performance much.
>
> I'm interested to know what commands you use to merge changes into a
> planet file in five minutes.
>
> However, I see that changing the symbolic link before updating the state
> file is a flawed idea anyway.

You misunderstood me, I didn't say anything took 5 minutes, nor that
the memory state file would be any where near 85 bytes, Osmosis does a
lot of the merging in memory to be able to come back to a point close
in time you would need to dump the memory contents frequently, every 5
minutes or perhaps more often if you care more about that sort of
thing.

This file would be many gigs in size, not bytes...