[OSM-dev] tips to reduce bulk tiles downloads ?

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 14:04:35 BST 2011

You know about the throttling of download speed in mod_tile, I guess.

On my server I use a tile limit per zoom level (automated tile scrapers show
an exponential increase with higher zoom levels) and a penalty for
missing/fake agents. Excessive IPs are blocked for 24h.

Actually, a good strategy is to try and identify the application causing the
load and talk to the author. Many applications do have a user agent.
Currently the most frequently blocked downloaders in my log are MOBAC and
Locus.

Do you have any idea who is causing the load?

bye
               Nop