[OSM-dev] Converting OSM Mapnik stylesheet to Cascadenik or Carto

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:17:32 BST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Richard Fairhurst
<richard at systemed.net> wrote:

>     1. CSS
>     2. internal consistency with other MapCSS attributes
>     3. SVG
>     4. Mapnik
>
> That's a pretty obvious decision.

But I see Cascadenik isn't in that list, which is the point I'm trying
to make. When you invented another "CSS-like language for describing
map styling" there already was a "CSS-like language for describing map
styling", and it's a great shame that nobody made any effort to make
the two compatible. Take even trivial issues like "line-cap" vs
"linecap", or "butt/round/square" vs "none/round/square". Neither
MapCSS nor Cascadenik even match SVG in this case! The various colors
can be rgb() or even now rgba() in one but only hex in the other,
shield-file vs shield-image, and so on and so on[1].

These pretty-much-the-same-but-incompatible-for-no-good-reason things
are exactly what I'm complaining about. As one of the few people who
write stylesheets in all four language discussed here - MapCSS,
Cascadenik, Carto and Mapnik XML I can so only one thing - Gah!

Cheers,
Andy

[1] see https://github.com/mapnik/Cascadenik/wiki/Dictionary and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapCSS/0.2 as the best overview.