[OSM-dev] Converting OSM Mapnik stylesheet to Cascadenik or Carto

Thu Jul 28 11:37:55 BST 2011

Andy Allan wrote:
> But I see Cascadenik isn't in that list, which is the point I'm trying
> to make. When you invented another "CSS-like language for describing
> map styling" there already was a "CSS-like language for describing map
> styling", and it's a great shame that nobody made any effort to make
> the two compatible. Take even trivial issues like "line-cap" vs
> "linecap", or "butt/round/square" vs "none/round/square". Neither
> MapCSS nor Cascadenik even match SVG in this case! The various colors
> can be rgb() or even now rgba() in one but only hex in the other,
> shield-file vs shield-image, and so on and so on[1].

Sure. So - please do sign up to the mapcss mailing list and say what you
think needs fixing. Like I say: it's young. If wrong decisions have been
made we shouldn't pigheadedly stick with them. If there's something that
can be fixed while remaining just as CSS-like (or more so), we should do
so.

I'm reasonably confident that the fundamentals are right and I'd hope the
uptake demonstrates that; the one thing that was clearly completely dumb
in the initial spec was the z-index magick, and thanks to smart thinking
by Komzpa and Paul Hartmann, that's been fixed in 0.2.

But, again, that's certainly not to say everything is perfect. FWIW
linecap is largely from SVG: we call it "linecap" rather than
"stroke-linecap" because (to be CSS-like) we don't use the "stroke-"
prefix. If there's no good reason for MapCSS to use the "none" value
rather than SVG's "butt", we should move to "butt". Heheh. He said "butt".

(Incidentally, I missed out from my previous posting one thing that I did
want to say: my one disappointment with all of this is that Maperitive
doesn't use MapCSS or indeed anything of that ilk.)

cheers
Richard