[OSM-dev] Rendering of "surface"

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Jun 3 09:17:23 BST 2011

Le 02/06/2011 22:55, Frederik Ramm a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>    there's a guy on help.openstreetmap.org named "Ursus" who seems to
> be in real pain to have some kind of rendering of the "surface" key on
> the Mapnik map, or at least an answer to his question whether this
> will ever be done.
>
> I've closed two of his questions as I believe that help.osm is not the
> place to follow up on seemingly abandoned Trac tickets.
>
> Could someone of the Mapnik rendering team perhaps tend to
>
>  http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1447
>
> - and either say "yes we'd welcome a patch" or say "no thanks, we
> thought about it and we believe that rendering surface would add too
> much clutter". (If I were in charge I'd say the latter but I don't
> want to pre-empt anyone.)
>
> Btw. there's a surface view on ITO:
> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=25
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Hi,

An argument to support rendering the surface tag in Mapnik (for example
as proposed in the trac ticket, at the scales where it would be visible)
is that it would make mapping easier in countries where unpaved roads or
streets are common, by separating physical surface status from relative
importance in the road network all the way to the (main) rendering stage.

See, for a recent example of discussion about Haiti - where
"impassability" questions are also present but where a surface rendering
would already make many things easier to represent:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ht/2011-May/000368.html

or, for a town in Libya where most streets out of the center are unpaved:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.4741&lon=14.5804&zoom=14&layers=M

Thanks,

Jean-Guilhem

--