[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 12:44:26 BST 2011

Hi,

2011/5/24 Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi>:
> Spatialite_osm_map with the finland.osm dataset from Geofabrik
> is faster than osm2pgsql in slim mode with my laptop. I have not studied
> spatialite_osm_map thoroughly and I do not know how well it has solved the
> mystery of OSM polygons but that is something that should really be solved
> somewhere pretty close to the OSM primary database, if not inside it.

True. I'm promoting that change to polygons as a "first class data
type" since years... In fact, if ways would be encoded as a first
class data type too (e.g. as linestring encoded by way_id and a set of
anon. coordinates) then we would'nt run out of the int4 byte range so
fast!
=> Perhaps it's now time to think about this linestring/polygon issue in OSM?

> For many use cases it might be nice to have ready made Spatialite country
> files available, with tables filled with OSM data, with indexes and with a
> nice set of views for simple querying. Instead of downloading raw country

Good idea.

I'm supporting in general the proposal of Spatialite as the "Shapefile
2.0"  which serves as a "binary single desktop file exchange format".
There are and will be libraries for reading and writing Spatialite as
there are libs for Shapefile now.

Protocol buffers (PBF) is a nice alternative but not quite at the same
level as Spatialite since PBF is purely serializing structured data
with no specification on how to encode spatial data types and with no
support in the GIS field up to now.

Yours, Stefan