[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jun 5 13:39:29 BST 2011

Hi,

Stefan Keller wrote:
> True. I'm promoting that change to polygons as a "first class data
> type" since years... In fact, if ways would be encoded as a first
> class data type too (e.g. as linestring encoded by way_id and a set of
> anon. coordinates) then we would'nt run out of the int4 byte range so
> fast!
> => Perhaps it's now time to think about this linestring/polygon issue in OSM?

The polygon issue is being thought about (but it is rather unlikely that
any solution we chose will have internal sets of coordinates, and only
then would your assumption about not running out of integers be true).

Linestrings with internal geometries are very unlikely to happen, for a
number of reasons, one of them being topology. I think that the OSM
model is superior to the classic GIS linestring; the linestring can be a
product down the road (e.g. after a processing step like osm2pgsql) but
is less suitable as a master data type.

Bye
Frederik