[OSM-dev] mod_tile-renderd Memory Issue

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Wed Mar 9 07:29:01 GMT 2011

On 09.03.2011, at 08:13, Haseeb Anwar Ul Haq wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have built my own openstreetmap server (Ubuntu 10.04).I am using mod_tile and renderd to serve tiles.Now I am facing a memory problem.The computer has 8 Gb ram and when I start renderd with 4 threads and when 5-6 people start browsing different parts of the world simultaneously ram gets filled up (near 8gb) in a matter of 2-3 hours.I searched the internet for answers regarding any memory leak problem and found a solution from an old post (~2008) that limit the threads from 4 to 1.Now when I rebooted the system and started the renderd with 1 thread(by changing /etc/renderd.conf) but I am still facing the same memory problem but this time memory fills up slowly but gradually fills up the whole memory.
>
> The computer is only used for serving tiles and nothing else.
> The munin memory graph is: http://i51.tinypic.com/2iivnz9.png
>
> Can anyone please help me out.Thank you so much and waiting for a response.

It doesn't look like a memory leak. The blue part are caches of your operating system. An OS uses all free memory to cache every thing you read from hard disk, so it doesn't have to read the data again and again. If your applications require memory, the OS will free some of the cached data.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de