[OSM-dev] Options for displaying a large GeoTIFF in JOSM

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Sat Mar 12 17:47:46 GMT 2011

Paul Norman wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to display a large GeoTIFF or MrSID in JOSM as a
TMS
> or WMS layer, but am running into a scaling issue with my normal method.
> received a 9 GB MrSID file from the city which turns into a 166 GB GeoTIFF,
> covering a large area at a 10cm resolution.
>

> My second method for imagery is to use mapserver to serve it up as a WMS
layer. That didn't work, mapserver never responded when trying to handle
such a large file. I think it just took too long to process anything
with
> it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative methods that will work
better for large files? Ideally I'd like to do a tms slippymap but I'm
open
> to anything

Mapserver should handle the case. I would use the original MrSID as a
source, it should work out-of-the-box. If converted to GeoTIFF first, be
sure to create a tiled tiff (-co TILED=YES) and then create overview
layers with gdaladdo. If you still have troubles send mail to
Mapserver-users mailing list and you will be helped.

-Jukka Rahkonen-