[OSM-dev] Options for displaying a large GeoTIFF in JOSM

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 21:27:03 GMT 2011

> From: Jukka Rahkonen [mailto:jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi]
> Paul Norman wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to display a large GeoTIFF or MrSID in JOSM as a
> TMS
> > or WMS layer, but am running into a scaling issue with my normal
> method.
> > received a 9 GB MrSID file from the city which turns into a 166 GB
> > GeoTIFF, covering a large area at a 10cm resolution.
> >

> > My second method for imagery is to use mapserver to serve it up as a
> > WMS
> layer. That didn't work, mapserver never responded when trying to handle
> such a large file. I think it just took too long to process anything
> with
> > it.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative methods that will
> > work
> better for large files? Ideally I'd like to do a tms slippymap but I'm
> open
> > to anything
>
> Mapserver should handle the case. I would use the original MrSID as a
> source, it should work out-of-the-box. If converted to GeoTIFF first, be
> sure to create a tiled tiff (-co TILED=YES) and then create overview
> layers with gdaladdo. If you still have troubles send mail to Mapserver-
> users mailing list and you will be helped.

Thanks for the help. Creating a tiled tiff then adding overviews worked.

I tried using the MrSID, but was faced by issues compiling gdal to support
the format as LizardTech released v8 of their DSDK which has some issues
with gdal. See http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3910

Since I'm hoping to get the next city's orthography as a MrSID, I may end up
looking at the problem again.