[OSM-dev] Slim layout for authorization flow

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:42:27 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've made a few more changes to the layout of the slim template. Any
> suggestions on how to go about making the code less intrusive would be
> welcome.

ReCap - "One idea that has been floating around is to change the layout for the
oauth signin flow to remove a lot of the distracting links from the
normal layout that can derail people trying to approve oauth
applications."

After discussing things with a few developers I re-implemented this
idea from scratch in a new branch (slim2), bringing a few advantages:

1) The code is much less intrusive - no messing with :render calls and
fall-through issues
2) The slim layout is now much more visually pleasing (imho, of course)
3) The various pages (login, terms, signup) are now consistent
regardless of whether you land on an oauth page or visit them
normally.

That last point needs a little discussion - the 3rd point was
something I discussed with Matt, since it has a huge effect on 1, and
also part of the point of OAuth is lost by having completely different
login pages. So basically this line of development should be
considered as more of a "Slim layout for authorisation flow" rather
than anything OAuth specific.

I've updated it today with some more improvements. I'd really like to
get this merged into trunk, so I'm all ears for feedback on the
approach and what else should be done.

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-website/tree/slim2

Cheers,
Andy